Christina Murphy, MD

Christina Murphy, MD

2019 ECuRE recipient

Affiliation: Medical Student, University of Pennsylvania
Mentor: Thomas Leung, MD, PhD
Project Topic: Investigate clonal nature of neutrophils in Sweet Syndrome

“I joined the Leung lab in Summer 2019 through the ECuRE program after my first year of medical school at Penn. Interested in the study of Immunology, as well as the clinical practice of Medicine and Dermatology, I was excited to work on a project studying Sweet Syndrome.

The ECuRE program allowed me to have a full-time experience in basic science during medical school. It also provided me with strong mentors. Working closely with MD/PhDs, PhDs, other researchers and students created a rich learning experience. Attending seminars through the ECuRE program exposed me to topics in the field and methods of study beyond those discussed at my own lab meetings. I also acquired skills in lab techniques and data analysis that will serve me in the future career I hope to have as a physician-scientist.

I had such a wonderful experience participating in basic science research through the ECuRE program that I chose to pursue a Masters of Translational Research (MSTR) while in medical school. I completed my thesis on ‘Immune and genetic controls of tissue regeneration in mice and humans’ in the Leung lab. My participation in the ECuRE program marked the beginning of a longitudinal research experience that will continue to have a meaningful impact on my career.”

In March 2023, Dr. Murphy matched to the combined Medicine-Dermatology residency program here at Penn, where she plans to continue combining clinical care and biomedical research to benefit patients.

Click here to add your own text